Our doctrine and Worldview
My wife and I was discussing some culture and Christianity with a new attendee of our church when the conversation turned to ” secular ” entertainment. What was considered good and what should be off limits? Is there really any harm ingesting worldly images and attitudes on a daily basis at the expense of Biblical discipleship and a Christian Worldview? There is varying degrees of disagreement among genuine Christians on this topic and I don’t intend to settle the dispute here.
I did, however, end up chasing the rabbit a ways and came to this question: What is more harmful, entertainment or bad doctrine? Is that a false dichotomy? I am of the opinion that our doctrine and our worldview should and will influence our choices in everyday life and is much more important to our temporal and eternal existence.
Eight things we need to flush
What about the glut of doctrinal garbage that masquerades as Christianity in the world in general and America in particular? What should we think about the Prosperity Gospel, the Family and the Sanctity of Marriage, the deity and exclusivity of Christ, Moralism, the prospect of Hell, and the sufficiency of Scripture? Are they important enough to stand, fight, and even die for if called upon to do so? Without certain doctrines Christianity is no longer Christian and the Church is no longer the Bride of Christ but a cheap and tawdry imitation.
Here is a short list of things to be on the lookout for:
- The Prosperity Gospel is no Gospel at all. Any time we place something before the unsurpassing glory of the Gospel of Christ it is a false gospel and we should expose it as such.
- The Family is the basic unit of organization that God formed humanity to work in. Any system, creed, or philosophy that undermines the import of familial relations is false and ungodly.
- All Roads do not lead to Heaven. The Exclusivity of Christ is one of the distinguishing tenets of the Christian faith. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life and salvation is found in Him alone.
- We cannot now nor have we ever been able to save ourselves. Our Moralism is unable to commend us to a Holy God. HE demands perfection and that is only found in Christ.
- Hell is real and the unsaved will spend Eternity there. The Emergent Church and many of their feel good adherents have ripped the doctrine of Hell from the pages of Scripture or twisted it to scratch their itching ears. Jesus Christ said Hell was real and that it was a place of weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth. He said it and I believe Him. See #3.
- The role of the Church is not ultimately Social Reform. The state of our society should concern us as believers but that is not our main mission. We are the Body of Christ, the Church, and we are called to proclaim the Gospel, disciple believers, edify and equip the saints, and reflect the True Light into a dark World.
- The Bible is full of errors and should be abandoned or minimized as a man authored book. This is against the traditional view of Sola Scriptura, which states that the Scriptures are our final authority for faith and practice. The Scriptures are the inspired ( God-breathed ) word and reveal to us what HE would have us know of Himself, ourselves, sin, salvation, and Eternity.
- Any doctrine that elevates man and detracts from the Majesty of God. God is God and we are not. We are His creatures, made in His image, but never His equal. He alone is worthy of the Honor due Him and we should seek to glorify Him and enjoy Him forever.
Please remember that this is not a comprehensive list but rather a short compilation of doctrines that must be consigned to the trash bin of our lives.
How do you feel about this list? What would you add? Take away?
Post Tenebras Lux